2009年1月1日 星期四

RJ6楊于萱

THE CLIENT

Basic information of the book

AuthorJohn Grisham

RetoldJanet McAlpin

Series EditorAndy Hopkins and Jocelyn Potter

Publishing and distributed by Person Education Limited

Word levelIntermediate (1700 words)

ClassificationContemporary British English

Number of Pages56

It's a crime novel. Mark Sway was eleven and he knew a terrible secret. He wanted to prevent a man from committing suicide. Yet, he didn't know that he was involved in an awful situation. The man was a lawyer of Mafia, a secret crime group killing a senator. He told Mark where the body was hidden when he was dead drunk. Mark escaped immediately. Then the lawyer put the gun in his mouth, closed his eyes and fired.

Both FBI and Mafia were concerned about the death and the boy. Some secret were so dangerous it's better not to tell. But then, it's just as dangerous if you didn't.

The reason why I appreciated this novel was that the plot was close to our life. The writer was also a lawyer. Therefore, he characterized various lawyers as a namechaser, a weakling, a man of integrity successfully.

I'm the KING of the CASTLE

Basic information of the book

AuthorSusan Hill

RetoldJim Alderson

Series EditorJohn Milne

IllustratorBob Harvey

Publishing and distributed by Heinemann

Word levelIntermediate (1600 words)

Number of Pages68

The title of the story, I'm the King of the Castle, comes from the words used in an English children's game. The children race to climb up a rock or a wall. The one who gets to the top first shouts out; "I'm the king of the castle." Edmund's mother was dead and he lived with his father. One day, Edmund's father brought a woman whom he loved and her son, Kindshaw to live together. However, Edmund was unkind to Kingshaw and scared him. Even worse, Kingshaw saved Edmund's life several time. Yet, Edmund accused him a murder trying to kill him. No one believed Kingshaw even his mother. He hated everything and tried to escape. Therefore, he walked into a middle of stream. Then he lay down slowly and put his face under the water. He breathed very slowly and carefully…

I didn't like this story at all. The evil boy won in the end. He smiled and thought he won when he saw Kingshaw's body in the water. Maybe the author wanted us to think why Edmund was cruel to Kingshaw and didn't feel regret?

RAIN MAN

Basic information of the book

Authora novel by LEONORE FLEISCHER

RetoldKieran McGovern

Series EditorAndy Hopkins and Jocelyn Potter

Publishing and distributed by Person Education Limited

Word levelPre-Intermediate (1200 words)

ClassificationContemporary British English

Number of Pages39

The story came as a complete surprise to me. Charlie Babbitt had a bad relationship with his rich father. One day, he got a phone call about his father's death. He went to the funeral and met a lawyer, John Mooney. Mr. Mooney began to read the will. "To Charlie, I give my 1949 Buick and also give him my roses." He couldn't believe what he had heard,"My friend Dr. Bruner will look after my house and all my money for me." He made up his mind to fight for his money. Therefore, he found Dr. Bruner. And it was the same time he met Raymond, who was the brother Charlie never knew.

The two men met and that was the start of a surprising new life for both of them. Raymond saw danger everywhere. That was why he did things in the same way everyday. However, he was a very intelligent person in some ways. They got along with each other for few weeks. Finally, Charlie remembered deep into his pastRaymond was Rain Man, his friend when he was a baby. The whole story was unexpected.

I appreciated this heartwarming story, the brotherly affection really touched me. Each plot astonished me that I didn't think of this kind of situation before. This novel had been adapted for the movie. Besides, the actor who showed Raymond's strange world in a successful way won the Oscar for Best Actor.

Extensive free reading project was one of my favorite things to do in class. In fact, I set a goal to read English novels as many as I could in the last summer vacation. Professor's project made me stick at it. I didn't choose the highest level to read. Therefore, I feel great and encouraged when I was reading, and I was proud of myself after finishing each book. I'll try thicker ones in the winter vacation. I'm sure that I'll do my best to keep free reading a habit in the future.

楊于萱49774213

沒有留言: