2009年1月5日 星期一

RJ6, 蔡宗桓

English Reading Journal-6

Book Title: Phantom of the Opera

Author: Leroux (originated written in French)

Read version : teenage version (in English)

Publishing company: Penguin

Year of Publishing: 2001

Number of pages: 50

Student: Chung-Huan (Allen), Tsai

49677007

I started reading this book because there was a movie version of the Phantom of the Opera, and also a musical of it at the Broadway. It sounded interesting and the setting of the French opera drew my attention to the story.

Leroux, in the story, had used first person tense in some parts of the story, as if he was there at the opera, trying to find out if the Opera Ghost really existed. Moreover, by weaving in the characters that actually existed in history into the story, Leroux made the story sound very realistic.. Another of Leroux's techniques used in this story is the pieces being performed on the opera theater's stage. For example, the singers performed Othello and Faust, hinting the start of the tragedy, and the love of the evil.

Most of the stories' climaxes are at the middle of the book; however, I think that the climax of The Phantom of the Opera is at the very end. Personally, I believe that Christine Daae loved the opera ghost, Erek, as much as she loved Raoul, the Vicomte de Chagny, although she may have considered it as sympathy. I think that is why she decided to flee with Raoul after her last performance instead of before it, to say her last goodbye to the Opera Ghost, even though it would put herself and Raoul in danger.

I really enjoyed the story because it is easier for me to read an easier version. I think I will try to read the real English version in winter and hope I can finish the whole book.

沒有留言: