2009年1月2日 星期五

RJ6朱育瑩

The Queen of Death

AuthorJohn Milne

IllustratorPeter Dennis

This edition published 1996

The first edition published 1979

Publishing companyHeinemann

Number of pages79

LevelIntermediate

The period of Ancient Egypt's civilization lasted from 3000BC to 500BC. The queens and kings believed after they died they'll go on a long, new journey. Their bodies were prepared for that as well as valuable jewels and beautiful things. Queen Axtarte, who was afraid of tomb robbers, had her tomb made on the east bank of the Nile River because all the other tombs were on the west side. She made a curse"These are my wordsAnyone who enters my tomb - anyone who steals from my tomb – anyone who touches my body - that person will die a terrible death. And many more shall die with him."

In the story, there were two groups that wanted to steal it. One is a gang named Amsterdam Ring. They menaced Dr. Farrow, who knew the tomb well, to take them to the tomb and then smuggle them to Europe and America to make money. The other is an antiquities collector named Dr. Jusef Strengel who wanted the antiquities of his own. Salahadin El Nur, Chief Inspector in the Egyptian Police, with the help of many other people and his unexpected tricky moves, stopped the two groups from taking it away.

I like this story because it makes me go on reading without interruptions. I was so nervous and thought that the villains may take the treasures away even if I knew it won't happen. I learned more vocabularies and phrases such as ''smuggle''''roundabout''''foreign number plate" and so on. I found myself more efficient this time! Reading English novels really helps me a lot! By the way, Happy New Year!

49777071 [JeT] 朱育瑩

沒有留言: