2009年1月3日 星期六

RJ6李亭儀

English Reading Journal 6
Book: Jane Eyre
Author: Charlotte Bronte
Retold by: Ann Ward
Series Editors: Andy Hopkins and Jocelyn Potter
Publishing Company: Penguin Readers
Year of publishing: 1999
Word Level: Stage 3 (1200 words)
Number of pages:40
This novel is not my first choice. At first, I choose the Daddy-Long-Legs; however, I accidentally lost it so I have to find another one. Because I lost the book last weekend so I didn't have enough time to select the next novel, I chose Jane Eyre to replace it. I bought Jane Eyre in my senior high but I didn't read it at that time.
Jane Eyre is one of the world's greatest love stories. It described a lady who didn't have a happy childhood and had no family got a job to be a tutor in a country house called Thornfield Hall. She had a wonderful time and enjoyed her teaching and she fell in love with the master of Thornfield Hall named Rochester. They loved each other and they soon decided to get married. However, when they were in the church, a man disrupted the wedding and claimed Mr. Rochester had got a wife already and his wife is the man's sister. Mr. Rochester explained that he did got married fifteen years ago but his wife was crazy and she was dangerous and tried to killed other people so he locked her in the attic. After hearing that, Jane Eyre was heartbroken and she left Thornfield Hall without saying goodbye. However, when she finally returned to Thornfield Hall, she found the house was completely destroyed. Somebody told her that Mr. Rochester's wife set the fire and jumped from the roof and died. Unfortunately, because Mr. Rochester wanted to help her, he was very badly hurt. He could not get out of the burning house in time. When he finally came out, he was blind and he had lost one hand. Jane Eyre found Rochester and promised to take care of him forever. They got married three days later. Fortunately, two years after they were married, Mr. Rochester began to see again with one eye. He would never be able to see well, but he now could see Jane Eyre and their children.
This novel is very short and quite easy to read. What makes the novel special is it uses the first person to tell the story. In addition, the author applies many elements what happened in her life to this novel. Although it is one of the world's greatest love stories, I have to admit that I can't feel the strong love between Jane Eyre and Rochester and it doesn't touch me deeply in the heart. It is quite strange, ah?
49777027 李亭儀

沒有留言: