2008年12月5日 星期五

Reading Journal 4林琦鎮

49777010林琦鎮

Reading journal 11/21~12/04

Book: Brind and the Dogs of War

Author: Christopher Russell

Illustrator: No

Publishing Company: Penguin Group (Puffin)

Year of Publishing: 2005

Word Level: Unidentified

Number of Pages: 198

Finally, I have finished the book with such a great effort. The content of the story is really different from its title since it concerned with the wars between humans rather than dogs (dogs are only subordinate roles). (Please refer to RJ3 for the former part of the story.) When the girl recognized it was her father's brooch, Brind's master also recognized him but called him as a traitor. Maybe that's because he ran away from the battlefield even though he was actually trying to save his mastiff. The story turned out that Brind found his mastiff, and through a lot of tribulations (murder, conflagration, shipwreck) and the instigation of one disloyal servant, they went back to their hometown black and blue, but reunited and lived happily ever after.

"Be nice but alert." The story provoked my awareness of being cautious, and taught me that the one you most acquainted with may be the biggest enemy. I also honored Brind's master that even though Brind was only a servant to him, he treated him whole-heartedly. Surviving in a world full of wars is really not easy. It required strength, wisdom, and friends, especially the latter. I love the book because it emphasized much on the importance of friendship.

After reading two books, I really have questions about names used in the books. These books contain different kinds of names from various languages, and many vocabularies that are unrecorded in English-Chinese dictionaries. Where can I look them up?

This time, I think I am more effective than ever since I read 124 pages. It really took me a lot of time to finish reading, but I am filled with joy. I got sense of accomplishment by completing such a task (though sometimes I feel tired of keeping reading).

I am going to share the book to my friend who loves to research on war topics instead of my aunt since the part of dogs are too rare. (I intended to introduce it to my aunt before because she loves dogs very much.)

My next book has not decided yet, but I think a book relates to detective and murder or supernatural may invoke my interest most. A story that narrates realistic incidents is not what I like.

1 則留言:

Unknown 提到...

Very good job, Arthur! You can look up certain foreign words in proper foreign language-English dictionary. But very often, you will just have to get used to seeing some foreign words in English language. After all, English vocabulary grow from many origins. How does "tofu" get into English? Or "Sashimi"? Or "se la vie"?