2008年12月7日 星期日

RJ4黃郁雰

Freakonomic

Author: Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner

Publisher: Harpertorch

Year of Publishing:2006

Pages: 207

Freakonomic is an interesting book that explains the hidden side of everything. The reason why I am pretty fond of this book is that it contains of many novel perspectives. For example, it explains what do schoolteachers and sumo wrestlers have in common, why drug dealers still live with their mom and so on. I started by the part that explores why and how schoolteachers cheat. Since I read this book, I've changed my original thinking into multiple one. The result of this part is really astonishing.

On behalf of the conventional wisdom, schoolteachers are considered to be honest people. However, schoolteachers have their dilemma. According to No Child Left Behind law, twenty states in U.S. reward individual schools for good test scores and dramatic improvement. As a result, some of schoolteachers played tricks to get the bonus. In one of the data provided by authors, we could see what teachers have done to add the average scores of the class by students' score strings. Schoolteachers filled the correct answers in the string of blanks. It's hard to distinguish from non-cheated ones by naked eyes. So, it was easy to pass investigations. That's why schoolteachers do it over and over again.

Everything has its hidden side. I never believed teachers would cheat for bonus until I read this book. "Cheating is a primordial economic act: getting more for less." the author said. From all works of life, cheating is hard to avoid because of desire. Even schoolteachers have no exception.

Above all, Freakonomic inspire my multiple aspects of my everyday life. By this book, I learn how to explore things out of the original thinking. In this way, I'm able to conclude different results. Sometimes, they are even better than initial ones. Freakonomic has indeed turned the way I think. I believe everyone who has read it would come to the same opinion.

49777020 黃郁雰

沒有留言: