2008年10月23日 星期四

MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA,RJ1

MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA

Author: Arthur Golden

Publishing company: First Vintage Mass-Market Edition

Year of publishing:2005

Number of pages: 502

There are 33 chapters in this book. So far, I've read 22 chapters and will finish the rest of the book in a week or so.

"Memoirs Of A Geisha" , a well-known novel, has been adapted for the motion picture and swept the world of Asian movies. This book is a real-life reflection and dictation of the geisha—Sayuri. From the miserable childhood to the successful geisha career, Sayuri elaborately dictated all astonishing and incomparable experiences she has encounter

-ed in this book.

Borned in a poor family with a mother suffering from bone cancer, her father couldn't afford to the large amount of expenses. As a result, he exchanged his daughters for money and sent Sayuri and her sister to the geisha houses in Kyoto respectively. Sayuri once tried to run away with her sister but she failed. Her failure led to the confinement for her to become a geisha. However, the chairman came along and found the potential of being a geisha within Sayuri. He pushed Sayuri onto the stage secretly. With the impressive beauty and the unique blue-gray eyes, she had become more and more popular in the district. Namely, more and more problems emerged. She had to deal with the battle with her best friend—Pumpkin, a geisha in Sayuri's geisha house. It's a profound hurt in her psyche. Moreover, she had to do many things she didn't want to do at all to please her clients. Above all, she was compelled to accept the man she didn't love as her donna —a man possessing privilege to live with her. Her true love was the chairman and she tried to approach him by all means. Nonetheless, she could only gaze at him in distance and keep the secret on and on.(to be continued)

The main reason why I bought this book was that I was touched by it after I saw the movie and I eagerly wanted to know the detail. I regard Sayuri as a legend, for she overcoming lots of conflicts with her strong mind, faith and wisdom. She was so eloquent that every time I read her words, I felt amazing in that she could cope with any problems through her words. No wonder she was impressive! However, by reading her story, I found it difficult to avoid misunderstandings resulting from fame. The more famous you are, the more possible to be misconceived. According to this book, Sayuri fell victim to misunderstanding in many situations. Nevertheless, it's her intelligence and pure spirit that solved problems. It is exactly what I have to learn in my life time.

There are many new vocabularies in this book. When I read the word I didn't understand, I just ignored it. I would gradually understand the word by repeatedly reading it in later parts. Furthermore, I always imagined the scene of the story. This way is pretty interesting. By my own imagination, I can create the world from other prospective. It is pretty funny!

1 則留言:

郁雰 提到...

I'm sorry about forgetting to post my name. I'm 49777020 黃郁雰. Thank you!