2008年10月23日 星期四

RJ 1

BRAVEHEART

Basic information of the book

AuthorRandall Wallace

RetoldJane Rollason

Series EditorAndy Hopkins and Jocelyn Potter

Publishing and distributed by Person Education Limited

Word levelPre-Intermediate (1200 words)

ClassificationContemporary British English

Number of Pages38

This novel was adapted for movie several years ago. Since I watched the film in parts at my history class, the plot was clear for me to follow. It's a true story a long and bitter conflict between England and Scotland. A leading man, William, lost his brother and father who are rebel forces when he was seven. He stood at the graves. And it was the same time, a little girl who became his wife had handed William a flower — the purple flower of Scotland.

I think it's the vicious rule of " first night" — a girl who lives on a nobles land must spend her wedding night with the noble of the land, not with her husband. William and Murron had a secret wedding, nevertheless, the shameless noble and soldier wanted to rape his wife and cut her throat. Therefore, a series of rebel occurred. Although, William still died at last, Isabella who was the wife of son of the king of England conceived his child.

As far as I'm concerned " BRAVEHEART" is a sad story, however, it has a sense of victory at the end of it. In short, it perfectly conveyed the conflicting feeling between Scotland's people and nobles and England. I really toughed by the following quote" ' Sons of Scotland,' William shouted, ' You have come here to fight as a free men. Yes — if you fight, perhaps you'll die. If you run, you may live for a time. But at what cost? They'll kill us, but I say we'll will always be free! "

The novel deserves strongly recommend.

SHERLOCK HOLMES

Basic information of the book

AuthorConan Doyle

RetoldDavid Maule

Series EditorAndy Hopkins and Jocelyn Potter

Publishing and distributed by Person Education Limited

Word levelIntermediate (1700 words)

ClassificationClassics British English

Number of Pages59

This novel talked about the three adventures, The Speckled Band, The Five Orange Pips, The Crown of Diamonds, of Sherlock Holmes. The author was a novelist with an eye for detail. The first and second story filled me with fear. The scene arose in my mind just like I got into the airtight room, where was poorly lit by candles and was so silent that I could hear the beat of my heart. So I tried to finish it as soon as I could and buried it at the corner of my desk.

I read the detective novel for the very first time. There was no denying that I appreciate the author's logical thinking, his compact style of writing and the fine and delicate plots. In addition, I realized that things are not what they seem. Still I was terrified of this kind of story. Nervousness filled my vein.

NO LONGER AT EASE

Basic information of the book

AuthorChinua Achebe

RetoldJohn Milne

Series EditorJohn Milne

IllustratorMatilda Harrison

Publishing and distributed by Heinemann

Word levelIntermediate (1600 words)

Number of Pages62

It's a sarcastic novel. Obi Okonkwo was the first student the UPU sent to England. For years later, he came back and had a job in the Civil Service. Due to his integrity, I thought he was a promising man. Then he fall love with an unsuitable girl, Clara who was an osu (Osu were people who, many years ago, had been made servants of a spirit or a god.)Things seem go worst from wrong, his mother died, Clara left him forever and he was accused of taking bribe.

At the end of the story, the author asked, Why Obi took the bribe? Once he refused to do all illegal behavior, let alone took the bribe. Obi's boss said the truth is that " all Africans took bribe." To me, I thought it's a serious discrimination. The reason I guessed is that he wanted to prove that he didn't have wrong to marry Clara. Although he didn't have a handsome salary, he still insisted to support his family, pay back the loan to the UPU and pay high tax without help. Soon he found it was impossible to make ends meet. Besides, everyday some rich men put temptation in his way. Finally, he yielded way to it. In my opinion, this novel is worth reading and thinking.

楊于萱49774213

沒有留言: