2008年10月23日 星期四

Reading Journal 1

Reading journal 10/17~10/23

Book: Two Strange Tales

Author: Eliade, Mircea

Illustrator: Joe Maloni

Publishing Company: Shambhala Publication, Inc.

Year of Publishing: Unidentified

Word Level: Unidentified

Number of Pages: 130

I have finished reading the first tale of the book with a nervous mood since it is a little creeping. It talked about three scholars involved into a magical time inversion to witness a murder, and then strayed in the forest before they bumped into an old family that only existed in the 18th century. While they finally got out of the strange forest, their friends who lived with them confirmed that the scholars were drunk since they have never stepped out of the hotel in these days. Then they stretched out a series of actions to reveal the reality of the mystery. In the end, they finally figured out it was the supernatural power that brought them back to the past and, to my surprise and embarrassment, it turned out to be a dream of one of the scholars.

I love to read stories with mystery or magic, such as detective novels and ghost or magic stories. This book is to my taste. It made me feel that I was also involved in that circumstance to experience such strange things. Though it was not a detective story for me to infer the truth, it also stimulated me to think what on earth the truth might be. Reading a book like this is interesting even though the outcome is perfunctory because it explained the whole story by indicating that it was only a dream. Good stories may give people a responsible answer no matter it was rational or not. The biggest question in the book was that it should give us some explanation, not just posing a lot of weird and unexplainable things to us without answers.

Though I did not read many books, all those I chose were appealing. I used to read books when I was free, not on a daily basis. This time, I am trying to read novels daily, and I think I can do much better after a few weeks, with more reading time, more books.

Next time when I choose a new book, I will look for a book more famous and meaningful. I will compel myself to read 30 minutes daily to form a good habit. I will tell my friends about the story I have read, and if they have read it, too, I would like to discuss with them. I think these might help me to enjoy the exercise more.

49777010林琦鎮

1 則留言:

Unknown 提到...

"compel" used in this journal is awkward. "force" may be better. You write rather smoothly. So, keekp on reading and keep on writing (which is a kind of sharing, too.)