2008年11月6日 星期四

English Reading Journal 2周婉婷

English Reading Journal 2

Riders of The Purple Sage

AuthorZane Grey

Retold byFlorence Bell

IllustratorAnnabel Large

Publishing companyHeinemann Guided Readers

Year of publishingFirst published 1993

Word LevelElemantary (1100 words)

Number of pages56 pages

The story talks about a town with purple sage everywhere. This town didn't welcome strangers and accept wealthy women. Jane was a young woman who inherited a large fortune from her parents. Tull,one of Jane's cowboys,was jealous of her wealth and usually wanted to drive out Venters,who came from outside the town and was also a cowboy employed by Jane. The day Tull fighted with Venters a stranger appeared and stopped the fight. He was Lassiter,a man killed many people in the town to find out who took his sister,Milly,away from him. Tull cooperated with rustlers to steal Jane's cattle. To find out where the cattle were,Venters followed the trail. Much to Venters surprise,he discovered a beautiful valley and saved a girl named Bess,who was a masked rider of rustlers,by accident.

Lassiter finally found Milly dead and shot the man who took Milly here. Tull still picked on Jane even though Venters left the town. Lassiter helped Jane run away from Tull and they ran into Venters in the forest. As soon as Lassiter saw Bess,he knew she was the daughter of his sister,for Bess looked like Milly very much. To escape from being killed by people Tull leaded.Jane and Lassiter closed the entrance of the beautiful valley,and at the same time,Venters took Bess out of this horrible town.

The reason for I chose this book is that I like stories about adventure. When I read the book,it wasn't as excited as I had thought. Even though it doesn't meet my expectation,I learn something about cowboys and cultures about 19th century in America from the book.

At this time,I think I am more effective than last time. I spend about 10~15 minutes reading the book everyday. I think maybe next time I can try to add a little more time to read books.

49777045周婉婷

沒有留言: