2008年11月6日 星期四

RJ2朱育瑩

Stories From Around the World

RetoldHeather Amery

IllustratorLinda Edwards

DesignerJoe Pedley

EditorsMichelle Bates & Jenny Tyler

Publishing companyUsborne

Number of pages72

I continued this book and I finished it last week. The stories were a lot more interesting than I read the week before last week. ''Buried Treasure'' tells that Mario was a vey lazy lad. He lay in a hammock and refused to do a stroke of work. His neighbor, Gianni, drew a fake map and told Mario that there's a buried treasure in the farmland. Mario was so excited that he immediately started to clear the weeds, water the field, manure and dig for gold. He didn't notice Gianni dropping seeds as he walked across the field. In the end, the whole field was covered with rows and rows of juicy lettuce. A merchant came across and bought all of the lettuce. ''That's your gold'' said Gianni. From then on. Mario worked hard and grew huge crops of wonderful vegetables very year. This story reminds me of my junior high school's teacher. She told us what truly influences our work and our life is our attitude! Attitude decides everything. Other stories I've read includes ''Nail Soup'', ''Stealing the Sun'', ''The Ivory Wand'', ''The Little Sparrow'' and so on. I recommend this book a lot. It's a very good material for beginners. The pictures are marvelous. Though you don't understand some words, you can still know them in the context.

My Cousin Rachel

AuthorDaphne du Maurier

RetoldMargaret Tarner

IllustratorKay Dixie

Typography byAdrian Hodgkins

Publishing companyHeinemann Elt

Number of pages80

LevelIntermediate

Philip Ashley lost his parents when he was two years old. He lived with his cousin Ambrose and he looked after him as his son. Ambrose was a gentleman of leisure. He had his own big house, servants, land and farms in England.

It was often cold and damp in winter in England. Ambrose had to go abroad every winter to Italy. There, he found his love, Philip's cousin, Rachel. At first he was very happy to be with her because they had the same interests and hobbies. Ambrose didn't return to England in summer. He preferred to be with Rachel in England. Gradually, the letters Philip received begin to be sad. The writing was so bad and finally no letters were sent to Philip. As Philip was ready to leave the house to Italy to find out what's happening, the last letter arrived from Ambrose. It was very short and almost impossible to read. ''For God's sake, come quickly! Rachel, my torment, has won. I am dying. Come quickly, or it will be too late!'' It was the 10th of July. However, Philip cannot reach Italy until the middle of August.

When Philip reached Italy, Rachel was away and Ambrose was died. He died from brain tumor. Philip was furious at Rachel. She took Ambrose away from him. Then he met Rainaldi, who arranges everything for Rachel. He hated both of them, especially Rachel. When time went by, one day Rachel appeared. She brought Ambrose's things to Philip and stayed in his house. Day by day, Philip began to fall in love with her and decided that all the properties belong to her. In the end, she died because of walking on the new bridge which hasn't finished yet.

I don't like the ending because it makes me feel that the story isn't end yet. I don't know what happened to Philip in the end and whether he got married with other girls or not. The story mainly focused on Philip's feelings. The author describes him as if he is true to life. I'm curious why Ambrose and Philip fall in love with Rachel so quickly. She only likes money! All she wants is money and the Ashley family's jewels. In all, I'm a little disappointed in choosing this book.

I think I'm getting used to read English novel everyday. Although I really can't make myself enjoy in it at the beginning, I gradually think that I should get rid of those thoughts and just finish it. And I did it! That seems to be a magic. Ha! Ha!

49777071朱育瑩

沒有留言: