2008年11月22日 星期六

RJ3陳宣汝

Name of the Book: Big Fish
Author: Daniel Wallace
Publish Company: Pocket Book, 2004
Year of Publishing: 1998
Number of Pages: 183


Now the story goes on, as tell many of Edward's youth stories, now it's time to tell something interesting about his mid-life and his old life.
The author uses four parts called "My Father's Death: Take 1 to 4" to describe how illness takes Edward's life away slowly. I think these are the main chapter and the most important parts of this book. Because during take 1 to take 4, we can see how William, Edward's son, changes. In William's childhood, Edward always tells jokes and many exaggerated stories about what he have been encountered. Moreover, Edward is seldom at home. That makes Williams feel so unreal, unsecure and have some misunderstanding of his father. He thinks that Edward is an unpractical and a little irresponsible person, though he knows that his father loves him and his mother and this home.

For the take 1, 2 and 3, as we know, Edward lies dying. William wants to know his father much better through this chance, but Edward just wouldn't stop telling jokes. That's really pissed William off. However, as the more stories have been told, not much time for his father, Williams becomes to realize that what his father have told him is what he is trying to say in the form of stories. For the take 4, it says that Edward is sent to the hospital. And the doctor says he won't live for tomorrow. A little unconscious of Edward lies in bed, William sits beside the bed and try to talk to his father. But all he can remember is joke, all the jokes that Edward have told him. So, he moves his mouth to speak to tell one of his father's jokes to his father......

I'm so glad that I have finally read this book over. I saw the movie before, and it touched me. But somehow the book moved me much better than the motion picture. As I read the "My Father Death: Take 4" I was so sad as if I was in that situation. 'Cause my dad, like Edward, loves to tell me a lot of funny stories. Sometimes I think he's a little exaggerated, just like William's thought, though I love every story he told me so much. After read this book, I found myself not knowing much about my father really. However, fortunately, my father is still strong and healthy enough in his mid-life. So, from now on, I will take the chance whenever I can to get to know my father better. No matter what means I use, I will know what my father really want to teach me.

At last, I want to share that I learn a great sentence through this book. It says " Opportunities come in disguise sometimes." Everyone should seize the chance when it comes to you, don't just turn a blind eye and let it go.


49778003 陳宣汝

沒有留言: