2008年11月20日 星期四

Reading Journal 3 林琦鎮

49777010 FLAG 林琦鎮

Reading journal 11/07~11/20

Book: Brind and the Dogs of War

Author: Christopher Russell

Illustrator: No

Publishing Company: Penguin Group (Puffin)

Year of Publishing: 2005

Word Level: Unidentified

Number of Pages: 198

In my Extensive Free Reading this time, I chose a novel about dogs due to my fondness for them. In the beginning of the story, Brind was chased after a pack of dogs and I was immediately led into the world of them, a world that was filled with challenges and dangers. Because I have only finished one-third of the story, what I can tell is limited. Brind is a slave who lived with some dog trainers (they are also knights who serve for England) and mastiffs. He understands dogs, communicates with them, and behaves more dog than human. One day, when his masters brought them to attend a war between England and France by sea, they rushed into a shipwreck. They then got apart from one another, and Brind bumped into a girl who was trying to find the defeated army belonged to her mother country, France. However, after Brind and the girl decided to travel together, she unexpectedly found that one of Brind's masters held a precious brooch, which belonged to her father. (To be continued.)

I think the book I choose this time is a little bit long-winded. Though I have read one-third of it, I still didn't see some spectacular parts. I thought the story I was going to see was a boy that was discarded and raised by some dogs and was doing something mighty. However, it turned out to be a story that depicted the interaction between them and their experience of some tribulations. In the end of the story, I hope I can see something more active and heroic.

Compared with the book I read last time, this one is more difficult. Under its tale-like cover, nevertheless, there are some narratives concerned with historical incidents that I have questions with. To understand it more, I will try to inquire about them on the Internet or by library resources.

Because of the mid-term exams in other subjects last week, I had less time to read the book. Therefore, I made up my mind to make it up in this week by reading it longer each time and daily. I think I get little improvements in my reading ability through the five-week reading, and I will be more concentrated to read it efficiently. As soon as I finish this one, I will share it to my aunt since she loves dogs very much and eager to know more about them.

1 則留言:

Julia 提到...

I was a little bit shocked when I saw you left your opinion in my journal 3! I am really happy that I found someone having the same feeling about this special book! Your writing is so smooth! You expressed your feeling vividly, maybe that's why you always got a high score! It's nice to meet you! I'd better learn more from you! Thanks!